Discarding Dead Global Policies [Was Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] Discarding dead policies]

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue May 22 00:46:33 UTC 2012

Hi Adiel,
At 13:13 21-05-2012, Adiel Akplogan wrote:
>In my understanding, on this matter I see two scenarios:
>
>1. Globally coordinated policies which are policies proposed by different (or
>same people) in different regions with the objective of getting
>their principle
>adopted and implemented in each RIR's region (maybe with small variances to
>adapt to local context).  A policy like that should normally not have a global
>effect on the RIR system. An example is AFPUB-2007-GEN-001. These policies can
>be adopted in one region and totally rejected in another region and that
>will/should not prevent the policy to be implemented (according to
>the local PDP
>guideline) in region(s) where it has been accepted (all politics set aside).

In the case of AFPUB-2007-GEN-001, yes.

>2. Candidate for Global Policy: This is a kind of policy which is meant to
>define how IANA deal with RIRs in term of Number Resource
>management. This kind
>of policy has to be proposed in all the regions and a commonly agreed text
>should be submitted to ICANN board for ratification. The role of each RIR in
>this case will be to approve the policy as Global Policy Candidate (following
>there respective PDP). Such a policy can NOT be implemented by RIRs
>individually
>  but by ICANN or IANA.

Yes.

>So in this debate I think the proposal could be for PDP-WG to
>instruct the staff
>to define a new status for Global Policy Proposals that have gone through the
>local PDP as "Approved" ("Waiting Global Consensus" or "Waiting ICANN
>ratification") and do nothing if nothing happened elsewhere. The policy status
>will change to "Ratified" only after the ICANN board has ratified it
>and pass it
>to IANA for implementation. The status "Approved" should stay until
>the proposal
>is withdrawn by the authors.

The status was an implementation (AfriNIC) decision.  I suggest
keeping the matter lightweight; AfriNIC can do it or else the PDWG
can suggest.  The authors do not have the option to ask for the
withdrawal of a policy.  It is better that way or else there may be
problems in future.

The follow states could be used:

  - Awaiting consensus in other RIR regions
  - Awaiting ICANN ratification
  - Ratification by ICANN
  - Implemented
  - Not implemented

As the policy cannot be implemented, the AfriNIC Board of Directors
send a message to this mailing explaining why it cannot be
implemented and suggesting changing the state to reflect that.  The
PDWG Chairs recommend that the state should be changed to "Not
implemented", wait for PDWG feedback before replying with an ok.

Regards,
-sm