Discarding Dead Global Policies [Was Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] Discarding dead policies]

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Mon May 21 20:13:28 UTC 2012

In my understanding, on this matter I see two scenarios:

1. Globally coordinated policies which are policies proposed by different (or
same people) in different regions with the objective of getting their principle
adopted and implemented in each RIR's region (maybe with small variances to
adapt to local context).  A policy like that should normally not have a global
effect on the RIR system. An example is AFPUB-2007-GEN-001. These policies can
be adopted in one region and totally rejected in another region and that
will/should not prevent the policy to be implemented (according to the local PDP
guideline) in region(s) where it has been accepted (all politics set aside).

2. Candidate for Global Policy: This is a kind of policy which is meant to
define how IANA deal with RIRs in term of Number Resource management. This kind
of policy has to be proposed in all the regions and a commonly agreed text
should be submitted to ICANN board for ratification. The role of each RIR in
this case will be to approve the policy as Global Policy Candidate (following
there respective PDP). Such a policy can NOT be implemented by RIRs individually
 but by ICANN or IANA.

So in this debate I think the proposal could be for PDP-WG to instruct the staff
to define a new status for Global Policy Proposals that have gone through the
local PDP as "Approved" ("Waiting Global Consensus" or "Waiting ICANN
ratification") and do nothing if nothing happened elsewhere. The policy status
will change to "Ratified" only after the ICANN board has ratified it and pass it
to IANA for implementation. The status "Approved" should stay until the proposal
is withdrawn by the authors.

- a.