[AfriNIC-rpd] Public Comments on the PDWG Co-Chair Candidate

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 17 09:45:20 UTC 2012

Morning Sunday,

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com> wrote:
> McTim,
>

> On 05/16/2012 05:31 PM, Douglas Onyango wrote:
>>
>> McTim,
>>>
>>> On 16 May 2012 15:49, McTim<dogwallah at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I would appreciate some feedback on Dr. Afolabi's candidacy.
>>> Does anyone on the list know him and want to speak on his behalf?
>

> Just curious .... Why should anyone speak on the candidate's behalf?

We put up a web page for that purpose, it is always good to know as
much as possible about candidates in an election.

 He
> still has the time to address the community before election ... Nes Pas?

mais oui !

>> I am equally curious here; I have no knowledge of this candidate and
>> his aspiration to lead an esoteric community from the outside is
>> definitely disconcerting.
>

> I believe anyone can aspire.

+1

 I believe everyone should be able to aspire. It
> is left for the community to choose who they want at anytime. I think we
> took the best decision in Tanzania, by deciding that "even if there is only
> one candidate, we still must choose and be allowed to choose out of that one
> candidate"  [paraphrasing mine]. If he is a candidate good enough for the
> community and his contributions to the policy development process is
> considered good enough, why would he not be voted for?
>

>> IF Paulos chose to relinquish his seat as co-chair, this would put the
>> PDPWG is a really precarious situation.

@ Douglas, not precarious at all, WE are the pdwg, we select co-chairs
to follow us, not to lead!

> I think bridges should be crossed, if and when we get there. Perhaps holding
> the Board elections before the P-CC elections will help the community in
> this instance.

I would encourage all to read the PDP, it says:

"If the Working Group Chair is unable to serve his or her full term, the
Working Group may select a replacement to serve the remainder of the term

So we will just re-convene the pdwg if needed.  We can also do the
selection on the list.

The author of the PDP foresaw this situation and the PDP is flexible
enough to deal with it (thanks SM)!

--
Cheers,

McTim