[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-01

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:14:42 UTC 2012

Jean Robert,
I principally agree with the need for this policy. My comments inline:

On 23 April 2012 18:40, Jean Robert Hountomey <jrhountomey at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3.1.1 General Database Cleanup: At the ratification of this policy, AfriNIC
> will conduct a first cleanup by asking all POC present except those who
> received their objects in less than a year to confirm their POC information.
> We leave to AfriNIC's discretion to use any tool they find useful for this
> action.

> 3.1.3 At the request of additional resources or services, AfriNIC will ask
> an ORG to update its records.

The abbreviations are perhaps not a good idea for the policy

> 3.2.1 Members will have to confirm accuracy of their records in the Whois
> database in a month’s timeframe when contacted by email.

It is not clear from you policy who will contact the members, I
suggest you add to the text.

> 3.2.5 After a year of data inconsistency, AfriNIC will claim the number
> resources back.

When does the count for the year begin? when the record becomes
invalid (:-)) , When the email bounces???

> 4.0 Situation within other RIRs
> • At APNIC, there was a similar policy proposed that did not reach consensus
> and was withdrawn by the author.
> http://www.apnic.net/data/assets/file/0006/22857/prop-084-v002.txt

Links gives a 404

Douglas Onyango | +256(0712)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.