[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-01

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Mon May 7 06:44:09 UTC 2012

On 23/04/2012 17:40, Jean Robert Hountomey wrote:
> 2.0 Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem
>
> This proposal asks AfriNIC to maintain accuracy through a periodical
> database clean up.
> Furthermore, at least once a year or at the renewal or resources,
> AfriNIC should conduct a whois database information validation.

I think that this is a good proposal. I think that there is also much
that could be done to make this easier through improvements of the
MyAfriNIC portal. Specifically:

  * Proper support of the 'role' object in the portal. The role object
    is designed to solve the issue of PoCs changing within one
    organisation or business unit. Role objects cannot be created and
    maintained through the portal and can only be used when created
    manually.

  * Additional templates and data hints when completing data.
    Pre-populated fields and templates for things like the abuse PoC
    that is normally contained within the remarks section of objects
    could reduce the time take to update records.

> 3.2 Steps
>
> 3.2.1 Members will have to confirm accuracy of their records in the
> Whois database in a month’s timeframe when contacted by email.
> 3.2.2 After one month, AfriNIC will make phone calls, send faxes for
> those who have not answered or those whose email has bounced back.
> 3.2.3 After a month of unresponsive response, the record will be marked
> invalid.

I think that phoning and faxing are likely to be impractical. The staff
may be able to provide input here.

regards
--
Graham Beneke