[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-01

Ronald Nsubuga napstertash at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 04:16:47 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Jean Robert Hountomey <
jrhountomey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unique identifier: AFPUB-2012-GEN-001-DRAFT-01
> Draft Policy Name: AfriNIC Whois Database Clean-up
> Author: Jean Robert Hountomey | jrhountomey at gmail.com
> Related Policies: None
> Obsoletes: None
> Submission Date: April 14 2012
> Amends: None
>

> 1.0 Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal
>
> The African network infrastructure is growing with changes and extensions.
> This growth has brought changes in telecommunication and internet
> infrastructure.
> With the emergence of new operators, mergers and acquisitions, the
> dynamism brought by the penetration of internet technology has required
> organizational changes
> with job rotation. The need for accurate whois data has been in the news
> for years all over the world.
> Inaccurate data is still present in the AfriNIC whois database because
> changes have occurred in organizations (point of contact, contact
> information etc.) and object owners have forgotten to update their records.
> The result is a “No response” from “whois” contacts listed in the AfriNIC
> Database.

+1

> 2.0 Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem
>
> This proposal asks AfriNIC to maintain accuracy through a periodical
> database clean up.
> Furthermore, at least once a year or at the renewal or resources, AfriNIC
> should conduct a whois database information validation.
>
> 3.0 The Proposal
>
> AfriNIC members are committed through the RSA to maintain their data and
> keep it accurate.
> AfriNIC will then maintain accuracy of whois information through
> periodical database clean up.
>
> 3.1 Cleanup
>
> 3.1.1 General Database Cleanup: At the ratification of this policy,
> AfriNIC will conduct a first cleanup by asking all POC present except those
> who received their objects in less than a year to confirm their POC
> information. We leave to AfriNIC's discretion to use any tool they find
> useful for this action.
> 3.1.2 Annual Clean up: After the first cleanup, AfriNIC will conduct a
> cleanup one time a year. We leave to AfriNIC's staff to define the period.
> 3.1.3 At the request of additional resources or services, AfriNIC will ask
> an ORG to update its records.

AfriNIC should task LIRs to provide updated information *records* at least
once in 6(six) months, AfriNIC shouldn't necessarily wait for requests of
additional services to act.

> 3.2 Steps
>
> 3.2.1 Members will have to confirm accuracy of their records in the Whois
> database in a month’s timeframe when contacted by email.
> 3.2.2 After one month, AfriNIC will make phone calls, send faxes for those
> who have not answered or those whose email has bounced back.
> 3.2.3 After a month of unresponsive response, the record will be marked
> invalid.
> 3.2.4 AfriNIC may publish a report twice a year about number resources
> with invalid POC.
> 3.2.5 After a year of data inconsistency, AfriNIC will claim the number
> resources back.

More awareness, training has to be conducted, not sure if penalties can be
used or otherwise especially with cyber crime in play.

--
Cheers, RN.