[AfriNIC-rpd] Open Policy hour for AfriNIC - just an idea.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 19 15:34:44 UTC 2012

>> Actually, the open policy hour as implemented in the ARIN region specifically rules out discussing active policy proposals and is, instead, an open forum for people to discuss ideas for future policy proposals and/or things about current policy which are not working for them or which they would like to see modified.
>
> The two recent proposals qualify as future policy proposals.  The relevant detail is in one of the minutes of a past meeting.

Not by my intended meaning. By my intended meaning, I would consider them "Current proposals under discussion".

By my intended meaning, a future policy proposal is one which has not yet been proposed.

I apologize for the confusion. I should probably have made myself more clear about this initially.

>> It is an opportunity to educate new policy authors and bring the community together in a less formal discussion to help in formulating new policy proposals.
>
> I wouldn't frame it as "educate".  The discussions during some AfriNIC PPMs have been quite informal.  The CEO stands in line at the microphone like anyone else.  How less formal can it be?

Quite a bit less formal, actually.

The OPH does not usually have a defined agenda, per se. It is conducted as more of a free-form conversation. The microphone is usually passed around or people simply speak up from their seats. It is largely self-moderating and the presenter/leader/moderator only steps in if things start to get out of hand. There is no specific schedule of when or what is presented.

It is, literally, an opportunity for people to discuss and learn about the policy process (education), find out about how to go about writing a policy proposal (education), solicit early feedback on an idea and whether or not that idea is worthy of a policy proposal (community), refine an idea into a policy proposal (support for new authors), etc.

Have you ever attended an ARIN OPH? I do not think your expectations about what it is match the reality based on what you have said.