[AfriNIC-rpd] Open Policy hour for AfriNIC - just an idea.

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Apr 19 15:02:54 UTC 2012

Hi Owen,
At 05:52 19-04-2012, Owen DeLong wrote:
>If by approximately 2, you mean more than 20, then, sure. Yes, it's
>well below 50, but I'm not completely sure that is a particularly
>relevant detail.

The AfriNIC service region covers four languages.  AfriNIC membership
by country is as follows (approximate):

   South Africa 44%
   Nigeria       7%
   Kenya         5%
   Egypt         5%

The last five AfriNIC meetings were each in a different
country.  There is one AfriNIC member from Gambia.  The AfriNIC
directors are from six African countries.  The current chairs are
from two countries.  If the details from ARIN are relevant, feel free
to share. :-)

>Wouldn't it be nice to try and encourage more participation by
>AfriNIC constituents? Of

Yes.

>  the people on that list, the number that I see which are not
> AfriNIC staff or representatives of other RIRs is very small. The
> open policy hour could, actually, help

Yes.

>Actually, the open policy hour as implemented in the ARIN region
>specifically rules out discussing active policy proposals and is,
>instead, an open forum for people to discuss ideas for future policy
>proposals and/or things about current policy which are not working
>for them or which they would like to see modified.

The two recent proposals qualify as future policy proposals.  The
relevant detail is in one of the minutes of a past meeting.

>It is an opportunity to educate new policy authors and bring the
>community together in a less formal discussion to help in
>formulating new policy proposals.

I wouldn't frame it as "educate".  The discussions during some
AfriNIC PPMs have been quite informal.  The CEO stands in line at the
microphone like anyone else.  How less formal can it be?

Regards,
-sm