[AfriNIC-rpd] Draft Policy Proposal: No Reverse Unless Assigned

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:00:25 UTC 2012

All,

This second policy proposal is clearly a "strawman" that I hope
will get us talking about the very real issue it addresses.

While I understand that it has very little chance of gaining
consensus, I am hoping it will spur discussion and perhaps
someone will have a better idea about how to encourage the
registration of assignments.

--
Cheers,

McTim

------------------------[Proposal Header]-----------------------

Unique identifier (assigned by AfriNIC):
Draft Policy Name: No Reverse Unless Assigned
Author(s)
(a) Author1. McTim | mctim at isc.org | Internet Systems
Consortium/PDWG co-chair

Draft Policy Version
Submission Date  April 10 2012
Related Policies (where applicable)
Obsoletes
Amends AFPUB-2005-v4-001
------------------------[Proposal Header]-----------------------

[1] Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal

The purpose of a Public Network Information Database such as the AfriNIC
Database is so that contact information about public networks is made public
by registering assignments as they are made in the database.   It is
the authors experience that AfriNIC members are not as diligent about
registering
assignments of IPv4 space as they could be.

AFPUB-2005-v4-001 says, inter alia;

"9.5 Validity of an assignment
-------------------------

Assignments remain valid as long as the original criteria on
which the assignment was based are still in place and the
assignment is registered in the AfriNIC database. An
assignment is therefore invalid if it is not registered in the
database and if the purpose for which it was
registered has changed or no longer holds. "

This proposal is an enforcement mechanism of that long-standing policy.

[2] Summary of How this Proposal Addresses the Problem

This proposal limits LIRs and End-Users from obtaining reverse
delegation (rDNS) from AfriNIC unless the address space is
assigned or sub-allocated in the AfriNIC Database.

[3] Proposal

3.1 AfriNIC will no longer grant reverse delegation of IP address
space that it administers unless an assignment or sub-allocation
of that address space is registered appropriately in the AfriNIC Database.

3.2 AfriNIC will contact those LIRs who currently have reverse DNS for
allocations, but have not registered any assignments or
sub-allocations under those
allocations to remind them of the above text from AFPUB-2005-v4-001.
It is envisioned that this
will be done using myAfriNIC and email, but specific detrails will be
left to Secretariat staff to implement.

3.3  AfriNIC will NOT remove reverse delegation of any LIRs allocation
that was approved before the date of ratification of this policy
proposal by the AfriNIC Board.
Only allocations made after ratification date will be affected by this proposal.

[4] Revision History (for all but the very first draft)

4.1 Version nn
Change: .......................... (description of the change)
Reason for Change:..........(why was it changed?)

4.2 Version nn