[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2006-GEN-001 and Anycast

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:58:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Friday, April 6, 2012, Graham Beneke wrote:

> On 05/04/2012 21:48, McTim wrote:
>
>> If I understand correctly, they could have used one of their allocated
>> /24s for this, no?
>>

> To number the infrastructure - yes perhaps. To achieve the required BGP
> routing policy - no.
>
> I don't know of any practical way to carve a single /24 out of a /18. Then
> to announce that /24 to certain peers but not announce to others and still
> ensure well aggregated announces of the /18.
>
> If the member could receive one additional /24 then they could announce
> the following:
>  * /24 prefix
>  * /18 prefix
>
> The alternative is to announce:
>  * /24 prefix
>  * /19 prefix
>  * /20 prefix
>  * /21 prefix
>  * /22 prefix
>  * /23 prefix
>  * /24 prefix
>
> I know which I'd prefer to see in the global table ;)

While true that LIRs would have to deaggregate to do this, it is fairly
common practice, (not best practice certainly).

In any case, I think this is a corner case of a corner case,NAND one that
seems to me is a situation that ia already covered by current policy.

I will think about text for this...

Regards,

McTim

--