[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for policy proposals and/or issues on AfriNIC PDP for AfriNIC-16

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Wed Feb 22 14:37:22 UTC 2012

Nacre

On 22 Feb 2012, at 11:18, Nacer Adamou Saidou <adamou.nacer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I really need to understand what problem we are trying to solve. For me,
> if a policy is approved ifrom the AfriNIC community, that means that
> that policy is the answer to an issue from the AfriNIC community, issue
> that may not appears the same way in other communities.
> So why do we want to treat differently globally approved policies from
> those approved only by our community? What added value can we expect
> from that?

Some time we approve a policy that originated as global policy and it serves a local need which had not been originally anticipated.  However as Douglas pointed out this policy remains a global policy with an expectation that other regions will approve the same.  The current situation is what happens if one region rejects the policy ?   If this happens, it looses the global classification, but in simple terms we do not seem to have a mechanism in place to handle this scenario.

From your view if the policy serves a community purpose then it would be logical that it is resubmitted as a regional policy and voted on.

We just need to agree what amendment is needed on the PDP.

Regards

Barry