[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for Comments: Draft Minutes of Public Policy Meeting during AfriNIC-15 in Yaounde

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:52:11 UTC 2012

Hi James,

On 1/12/12, James Blessing <jblessing at llnw.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/2012 09:00, Adiel Akplogan wrote:
>
>> Discussions and comments before + during face to face meeting should
>> weight
>> more than comments during lats call. Doing that we push people to raise
>> their
>> point before or during the face to face meeting where consensus will be
>> sought.
>>
>> We should be clear about when to close the loop, and it is in my sense the
>> responsibility of the PDWG co-chairs to ensure that.
>
> I think that this is potentially a dangerous route to take as it
> effectively increases the 'power' of those parts of the community able
> to make every meeting and therefore favours the larger network operators.

I think you may have misunderstood AA.  My understanding is that
comments made during meetings AND comments made on list before
meetings have the same weight.

It's only comments about issues that were discussed at length BEFORE
Last Call that should have less weight during LC.

> The PDWG chairs should be able to weigh the 'value' of the individual
> contributions on their own without being 'forced' to do so.

Well, the community did suggest a set of guidelines for co-chairs in
response to the co-chair led discussion about potential PDP
shortfalls.

 As has
> already been point out the ability for remote participation at the the
> last meeting was very poor and (should there have been something major
> being discussed before being moved to last call) therefore any comments
> made by those remote members would have be devalued through no fault of
> their own (apart from not being able to attend the meeting).

I see your point on this.

> If it is the communities wish to move to a meeting based policy approval
> process then that is a different situation (and should go through the
> PDP). In that case all proposal should pass through last call at the
> meeting itself rather than coming back to the list.

I don't think this is what the community wants.

--
Cheers,

McTim