[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 strategy

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:11:25 UTC 2011

Hi Hisham,

thanks for the clarifications;

On 12/1/11, Hisham Ibrahim <hisham at afrinic.net> wrote:

<snip>

> To try to address the issues you brought up quickly
>
> 1) The reason behind the 12 month deployment period is no to "forcefully
> enforce" IPv6 on users, but to make sure that the allocated resources are
> being properly used, the duration of 12 months has been set by the community
> as part of the policy and any shortening or extension to that period should
> come from the community itself.

To be clear to all, the policy text at
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2004-v6-001.htm#4 states:

"d) show a reasonable plan for making /48 IPv6 assignments to end
sites in the AfriNIC region within twelve months. The LIR should also
plan to announce the allocation as a single aggregated block in the
inter-domain routing system within twelve months."

SHOULD is not MUST, and there is no reclamation clause that I can see
in the v6 policy.  We could certainly add one, but that may be
counterproductive.

The trick will be to encourage deployment using allocation and
assignment policy.  Getting iv6 onto routers and CPEs is an entirely
different set of issues than getting v6 allocations into LIR hands.

Any further ideas on how to amend the IPv6 policy to further encourage
v6 usage are welcome!

> 2) In regards to the effectiveness of the fee policy for IPv6, for the time
> being it is free and as Ernest has pointed out is meant as a motivator, to
> deploy IPv6 without addition cost for obtaining the space. However this will
> not always be the case and other RIRs have taken IPv6 space into
> consideration for their billing model, again a community call.

Hmmm, not so sure.  I think this is a Board decision, no?

--
Cheers,

McTim