[AfriNIC-rpd] Pushing IPv6

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Sat Nov 26 10:45:09 UTC 2011

On 2011-11-26, at 10:28 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I believe ARIN staff uses IPv4 applications from organizations that do not have IPv6 as an
> opportunity for outreach. Doing so does not require force-feeding IPv6 blocks to people that
> are not going to use them.

Currently AfriNIC hostmasters informally use every new IPv4 requests
to raise awareness on IPv6 by gently asking the requestor if they
would like at the same time to request IPv6? If they have a plan
they request it, if they don't yet have a plan of they generally just
decline the offer and only get their IPv4 prefix. Some of them do come
back few months letter with an IPv6 request.

So using the opportunity of IPv4 request to promote IPv6 is something
that we consider as part of our "responsibility" and outreach campaign,
but what we can not do right now is to to make it a condition for IPv4
or force it upon LIR. To be able to do so, we will clearly need to
define a policy for that.

Thanks.

- a.