[AfriNIC-rpd] Pushing IPv6

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Nov 25 14:25:55 UTC 2011

Don't think she said that at all. What did catch my ears was that by
pushing IPv6 - they were able to target people who had not even been
aware of IPv6. Thus, the process became educational - hence why I'd like
to see something similar in our region.

I'd just like to take it a step further - and use it as a stick (once
the carrot has been taken).

AfriNIC may not have a mandate to decide what our membership is using -
but as a person who is watching the business side - I don't want to see
ISP's fail because somehow they got left in the cold.

As to how far the space is actually used - I don't mind too much. Maybe
this could be the straw that pushes the LIR into using IPv6, there are
probably concerned engineers in the LIR who'd love to play but their
requests have been reaching deaf ears. This turns IPv6 into a business
case - the LIR has to get IPv6 (step 1) - and use it (step 2) - or get
no more IPv4..