election controversy? - Re: Handover to new PDWG co-chairs [AfriNIC-rpd]

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Sun Jun 19 15:38:05 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,
At 01:54 18-06-2011, Mark Elkins wrote:
>I stand to correction but I believe there is something that states for
>Board members - if there is no one to replace an existing member - then
>the existing member stays on. The same principal could be extended to
>other positions?

That could cause problems in future if it was applied to the PDWG position.

>Currently - there is nothing in the NomCom mandate that states they
>should go out and hunt for volunteers. That could be changed?

Yes.

>I seem to remember that in Johannesburg (Nov 2010) - the community sort
>of requested (asked really nicely) for both SM and Alan to stay on (or
>become?) the PDWG.

It is in the minutes of proceedings at
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2010/001191.html

>If we can not develop an N+1 policy for elections - then maybe we need
>to actually state that if the number of volunteers for a position
>matches the need - that part of any election process becomes redundant?

It's easier if you keep the "show of hands" (
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2011/001810.html ).

Regards,
S. Moonesamy