election controversy? - Re: Handover to new PDWG co-chairs [AfriNIC-rpd]

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 08:44:56 UTC 2011

@Owen,

Initially, I also thought it was "much ado about nothing" given the fact of 2 candidates, 2 positions, one of which already requested by one the candidates.  So why go through the empty motions of voting(by acclamation, secret ballot, show of hands or whatever)  when the outcome is obvious?

One member of the community told me the problem lies not in the recently held PDWG elections. But in future elections where a precedent set today maybe used (abused?) in future elections. E.g  NomComm may present candidates and declare results immediately - even where prevailing circumstances dont exactly justify - after all the community will already have been "conditioned" to such a procedure and may fail to detect anything...

I liked what Krishna did last year in Joburg when we I think we had only one candidate for the ASO rep; he still went through the (empty?) motions and this had the effect of "community participation" even though the outcome was obvious. Maybe something the Board will need to document since there's nothing explicitly written on what to do when technically there's "no competition" given that current rules presumed and provided for what to do when there is competition(many candidates)...

walu.