[AfriNIC-rpd] Handover to new PDWG co-chairs

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 18 16:26:31 UTC 2011

Nii, Mark,

the reason LIR are "Associate" members while Board members are "Full" members was simply to get around the Mauritian laws.

Incidentally, the powers of both Full and Associates are technically the same but according the Mauritian laws if LIR were to be full-members, they would explode the number of "directors of the company" to point where the company became a company limited (read commercial) rather than a "non-profit" (read NGO) setup that we currently are.

To get around this, only the 6 primary directors are registered as "the Directors" for Afrinic, which then allows afrinic to enjoy the benefits of an non-profit organisation (e.g. tax rebates,etc).

walu.
nb: am sure legal (Ashok) can expound on this or Alan B (regarded as one of the key contributers of the Afrinic constitution)