[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call: IPv4 Soft Landing Policy - AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-03

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed May 25 18:03:13 UTC 2011

McTim,

On May 25, 2011, at 7:49 AM, McTim wrote:
> If consensus is NOT reached, would you have any objection to a "no
> transfer" policy.  In other words, we would have to write some text
> like:
>
> AfriNIC resources are meant to be used by African organisations,

Just for clarity:

What do you mean by "African organisations'?  Would you disallow (say) Médecins Sans Frontières from getting address space from AfriNIC for use in their offices in African countries?

> primarily in the AfriNIC region.

Do you mean to disallow any African ISP from using this address space to provide Internet services outside of Africa?

> To that end transfers of address
> space from AfriNIC LIRs to organisations outside of Africa are
> prohibited"
>
> Just a rough draft, but what do you all think???

I would think it would be better to be explicit in what you expect AfriNIC to do, e.g.:

Perhaps:

"AfriNIC resources are meant to benefit Internet development in the African region. To that end, transfer of those resources to organizations outside of the region served by AfriNIC will not be reflected in the AfriNIC registration database."

Regards,
-drc