[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call: IPv4 Soft Landing Policy - AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-03

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Thu May 19 08:02:22 UTC 2011

Hi Owen, McTim,
At 21:39 18-05-2011, Owen DeLong wrote:
>Your numbers for ARIN re not correct.

Thanks for the correction.

At 22:09 18-05-2011, McTim wrote:
>nor do these numbers apply to the contentious issue at hand.

The question is what do you when the RIR in your region cannot
service your request for IPv4 addresses.  The proposal attempts to
mitigate that by reserving IPv4 address space and reducing the
maximum allocation and assignments during the Exhaustion phases as
networks might still need IPv4 address space as they transition to
IPv6.  In the ARIN region, a /10 IPv4 address block has been set
aside to facilitate IPv6 deployment.  There isn't any policy in this
region for such purposes.

There are a few issues when running IPv6-only networks (see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience-03 ).  If
www.afrinic.net resolved to an IPv6 address only, how many people on
this mailing list would still be able to reach it from home?  You can
actually test that case with www.ipv6.afrinic.net

If your business relies on IPv4 addresses, do you assume that there
will be a ready supply of IPv4 addresses for the next nine years?

If your government relies on IPv4 addresses, does it assume that
there will be a ready supply of IPv4 addresses for the next nine years?

I don't know how long the 75 million IPv4 addresses will last.  I
don't have an answer to the above questions.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy