[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call: IPv4 Soft Landing Policy - AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-03

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 19 04:39:23 UTC 2011

On May 18, 2011, at 1:38 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> At 11:05 13-05-2011, Mark Elkins wrote:
>> I really want to see this go through to Board Approval ASAP.
>
> The proposal still has to gain consensus.  The discussion seems to be about what is in the interest of the Africa versus what is in the interest of companies incorporated in the AfriNIC service region.  IPv4 allocation statistics show consumption per user as follows:
>
>           IPv4 address per user
> U.S.A          4.90
> Finland        1.81
> U.K.           1.34
> France         1.24
> Germany        1.12
> Mauritius      0.42
> South Africa   0.40
> Tunisia        0.26
> China          0.25
> Brazil         0.22
> Egypt          0.08
> Tanzania       0.006
>
> AfriNIC has roughly enough IPv4 addresses for Egypt to have one IPv4 address per person.  Over half of that IPv4 address pool would be needed if each person in Tanzania were to have one IPv4 address.  France currently has 80 million IPv4 addresses allocated to it.  That's around four times the amount of IPv4 addresses allocated to South Africa.
>
> According to unconfirmed reports, the trading price might be US$10 per IPv4 address.  The LIR annual fee for a (IPv4) /8 in the ARIN region is US$18,000, US$40,000 in the LACNIC region and US$38,400 in the AfriNIC region.  For end-users, the annual fee is US$18,000 in the ARIN region, US$600 in the LACNIC region and US$200 in the AfriNIC region (/14 maximum assignment).

Your numbers for ARIN re not correct.

The annual fee for an ISP that has grown by more than a a /14 in their largest growth year is $18,000.
The annual fee for an end-user that has any amount of resources, including a /8 or even multiple /8s is $100.
The one-time fee for an end-user who receives a /8 (or anything more than a /14) is $18,000.

I don't know about the other regions, but, ARIN fees are available at https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html.

Micr0$0ft recently paid more than $11.25/address for a large number of addresses.