[AfriNIC-rpd] Consensus call on Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 - IPv4 Soft Landing

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sat May 7 09:09:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 11:10 +0300, Arbogast Fabian wrote:
> this can be done with site-to-site VPN where on each end you have
> public IPs belonging to respective RIRs then over them you do VPN
> (site-to-site)
>
> you don't necessarily need your own block of IPs to do p2p btwn two
> points sitting on two different geographical areas.

True - but it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I guess many operators in Africa have (or start with) a very simple
international connection - where the African ISP initially get all his
IP address from his international satellite provider - then runs lots of
NAT to customers.

The next step in evolution would be replacing all the (evil NAT)
addresses in Africa with AfriNIC resources, get an ASN and perhaps
peering with other local providers at the local IXP. This should
instantly reduce the cost of 'local' traffic (that originally went via
the International Circuit) as well as make it much faster and allow it
to more easily grow.

If the ISP can purchase (or control) his own circuit out of the country
(probably Fibre) then he can often put down his own router on the far
end (eg Telehouse in London. At this point - he'll use his AfriNIC IP's
on the non-African side. It also makes sense to look at Peering on the
non-African side. For example - I have a router in London which is
indirectly announced at LINX (London) - but also at DECIX (German). I
could extend this to other European Peering points as well. I do this
because Peering is cheaper that Transit. All these type of services
means using my AfriNIC addresses outside of Africa.

A Router outside Africa means I can manage my Bandwidth more efficiently
- I control both ends of the expensive international service. I can do
traffic shaping and prioritisation, perhaps some mail filtering outside
Africa on a server or run some DNS and web sites there too (more of my
IP's). Its all under my control.

I might end up with multiple connections (Satellite and Fibre) from
there to Africa - and can control (split) my traffic appropriately. This
would make managing an International circuit outage much easier! I
actually have a simplex satellite service from my Router in London to
Swaziland. This saves me quite a lot of money - the overland circuit
from South Africa to Swaziland is not cheap!

All this takes just a handful of IP's but enables my ISP to be much more
efficient, reduces costs and makes me look good (I peer directly
with...).