[AfriNIC-rpd] Consensus call on Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 - IPv4 Soft Landing

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri May 6 09:38:06 UTC 2011

I believe I was the person who suggested the 10% rule.

Firstly - we are talking about the use of the last "/8" that AfriNIC
has. ie - this is potentially the last IPv4 address space AfriNIC may
ever have. By the time we get to using this space - it may in fact be
the last (virgin) unallocated IPv4 address space on the planet - as I
expect that the other regions may have totally used their address space
- unless people are returning unneeded space back to their RIR's.

My reason for the 10% rule was to ensure that this last space was used
by Africans for the benefit of the African region - and not used by
non-african companies who simply have (or set up) an African address,
applying for addresses then spiriting the address space out of Africa to
be used totally outside Africa. The 10% is a guestimation on how much of
the address space would need to be used out of Africa in order to bring
services into Africa. Most of the objections to this surround the fact
that it may not be possible to police whether more than 10% is being
used outside Africa. As much as anything - I see the 10% rule as a stick
that can be used if needed. Its really to stop blatant misuse of AfriNIC
resources - Companies attempting to export the address space with next
to no interest in Africa. Would I suggest using the stick if
"AfricanCompany" uses a little over 10% of the address space in order to
bring new services into Africa - No! If the same entity uses all the
address space to set up a new network in Europe - then Yes.

By "Africa" - I mean the AfriNIC region.

That then is the intent of the 10% rule.
                     ---------------------

Current practice for some time is for an ISP (LIR) to generally get
space from the region he is operating in. I'm not sure its actually
written RIR policy though.

On the other hand,
I personally have a small footprint in the UK - and use AfriNIC numbers
for numbering those resources and for the link back to Africa. I see
that as fair use of AfriNIC resources. I use a fraction over 1 x /24's
for that purpose - the rest of my /16 is in Africa.

As addresses become more difficult to obtain, some ISP's are going
against this (Honour?) system. I have personally been contacted by an
organisation from another region who wishes me to acquire on their
behalf a /16 (or so) of address space. They would host a server or two
with me for a minimum of a year, using that address space. I suspect
that after that year - they'd terminate the hosting contract and keep
their addresses - taking them back to their region.
I have not continued any relations with them. I sincerely hope that no
one else entertains them either.

--------------

Lastly - there is another policy proposal which is quite the opposite to
this one. Its to use something like the second last /8 to explicitly
sell to people outside of our Region - exploiting them by having a
higher than normal price. There are two motives to this:-
1 - to put more money into the AfriNIC coffers (we still have more IPv6
outreach to do)
2 - to try and match up our burn rate of IPv4 to the other RIR's. The
analogy I like here is its probably better that all the RIR's go over
the waterfall at about the same time - though APNIC is already over!

I think this is a health policy - and I support it.
Look at the 'resell' value on IPv4 address space in the USA - multiple
Dollars per address.