[AfriNIC-rpd] Legacy IPv4 addresses

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 5 03:38:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Graham Beneke <graham at apolix.co.za> wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 21:51, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
>>
>> There seems to be some confusing about legacy IPv4 addresses. Would it
>> be possible for AfriNIC to provide some information about the following:
>>
>> (a) Which existing policies cover legacy IPv4 addresses?
>
> I think that the first bit of confusion relates to what legacy addresses
> are:
>
> I believe that the globally accepted term refers to addresses that were
> assigned prior to the RIR systems. These would be addresses that were issued
> without any kind of formal contract or agreement.

not a formal contract, but I believe there were rules that one had to
agree to.  Someone posted the docs a week or more ago on ARIN list, I
will try to dig up the links.

 Unless an organisation has
> signed some kind of subsequent agreement, AfriNIC and the community would
> have no legal say in what is done with these addresses.

I'm not sure.  If Org A DID sign an agreement with IANA, and then IANA
delegates part of its job to Org B (the RIR), then I think that the
RIRs MIGHT have a moral ground upon which to act against a "bad
actor"...legal ground...not so sure.

> These allocations are scarce in the AfriNIC region - limited to a handful of
> Academic institutions and an even smaller number of commercial operators. I
> believe that the majority of these allocations belong to South African
> organisations.
>
> There is the second kind of allocation that I have heard referred to as
> 'legacy' and these are RIR allocations that were made to organisations in
> Africa prior to the establishment of AfriNIC. These allocations were made to
> members of a particular RIR under some kind of membership agreement. This
> existing membership was then transferred to AfriNIC when the organisation
> was formed and the relevant administrative functions were also transferred.

ERX (Early Registration Transfer), Can we call these legacy? I think not!

--
Cheers,

McTim