[AfriNIC-rpd] Legacy IPv4 addresses

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Wed May 4 20:55:26 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 21:51, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
> There seems to be some confusing about legacy IPv4 addresses. Would it
> be possible for AfriNIC to provide some information about the following:
>
> (a) Which existing policies cover legacy IPv4 addresses?

I think that the first bit of confusion relates to what legacy addresses
are:

I believe that the globally accepted term refers to addresses that were
assigned prior to the RIR systems. These would be addresses that were
issued without any kind of formal contract or agreement. Unless an
organisation has signed some kind of subsequent agreement, AfriNIC and
the community would have no legal say in what is done with these addresses.

These allocations are scarce in the AfriNIC region - limited to a
handful of Academic institutions and an even smaller number of
commercial operators. I believe that the majority of these allocations
belong to South African organisations.

There is the second kind of allocation that I have heard referred to as
'legacy' and these are RIR allocations that were made to organisations
in Africa prior to the establishment of AfriNIC. These allocations were
made to members of a particular RIR under some kind of membership
agreement. This existing membership was then transferred to AfriNIC when
the organisation was formed and the relevant administrative functions
were also transferred.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer ;-) this is simple my summary of the
situation.

--
Graham Beneke