Section 5.3 of PDP (was: [AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online)

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue May 3 17:07:56 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,
At 09:02 03-05-2011, Andrew Alston wrote:
>Yes, I would like this proposal on the agenda for Dar Es Salaam, as at
>this point, as I say, I do not believe there is currently sufficient
>consensus based on discussions on the list in February.

It's premature to discuss this as the Last Call has not started
yet.  I made of a note of your request though.

>I still however believe that we need to specify in the PDP that should a
>proposal fail consensus during last call that the proposal should either
>be considered withdrawn, or should be modified and consensus requested
>of the list again, or failing that should go back to a public meeting.
>This should be specified to avoid ambiguity, and it still leaves the
>face saving option of withdrawl or modification open, but it also gives
>the author the ability to take it back to a public meeting should he
>strongly believe in what he is saying and believe that he can advocate
>for it better in person.

The author already have the ability to take the proposal back to a
public policy meeting even though there isn't any explicit text in
the PDP that says so.  I suggest that you ask the ex-PDPMG about the
details surrounding AFPUB-2010-GEN-007.

Based on my short experience as co-chair, I'll say that whatever you
put in the PDP, it won't be much of a change unless there are enough
people willing to put in the time and effort to do the work.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy