[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue May 3 16:20:23 UTC 2011

Just to be (perhaps pedantically) clear, a /27 is perfectly routable.  In fact, according to http://bgp.potaroo.net/as6447/, there are already 2568 /27s or longer seen by AS6447 (Routeviews).  However, AS131072 (APNIC R&D) only sees 1005 /27s or longer.  Somewhere between those two ASes, some folks are filtering out long prefixes.  The chances that more folks will start filtering long prefixes over time is (I figure) quite high. Getting folks who are filtering to accept your long prefix announcement will probably be hard,  tedious and potentially quite expensive (e.g., if you have to go out, find who is filtering, and pay them to stop). If AfriNIC will be allocating prefixes longer than /24, I would think it would be prudent to ensure people understand this.

>> Yes it is true you raised arguments in email threads, and counter arguments were raised too. I am again inclined to believe that the bulk of the member are Pro this Paragraph and because all Policies are developed through Consensus, i will stay this too.....
>
> The argument is that this is required. We have not yet heard how this is to be practically enforced. Do we want to ignore this elephant in the room until the AfriNIC staff come back and report that this cannot be done.

Perhaps more concretely, can anyone describe how

"For each allocation or assignment made during the Exhaustion Phase, no more than 10% of these resources may be used outside of the AfriNIC region, and any use outside the AfriNIC region shall be solely in support of connectivity back to the AfriNIC region."

will be implemented?  Is the idea that AfriNIC will decertify (in the RPKI sense) or deregister (in the Whois/registration database sense) prefixes that have been identified to violate this policy?  Or is the idea AfriNIC will tag prefixes used in violation of this policy such that ISPs all around the world will voluntarily refuse to listen to non-AfriNIC-region announcements of these prefixes? What mechanism(s) will AfriNIC use to identify prefixes being used in violation of this policy?

Thanks,
-drc