[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Tue May 3 15:20:00 UTC 2011

On 03/05/2011 12:31, Douglas Onyango wrote:
> The minimum of /27 is supposed to help LIR/End Users during the transition phase with minimal wastage. Albeit, applicants have the option of requesting more than a /27 - e.g /24. So i see removing /27 as only encouraging wastage - (You must get a plate full of food regardless of whether or not you can finish it).
>
> Also because i feel consensus has been built on this point i am reluctant to do anything about it.

There were a number of queries about this in Johannesburg. We reached
consensus by surrender rather than true consensus.

Leo makes a valid point about legitimate uses for prefixes longer than
/24 for non-routed unique identifiers. My understanding is that this
proposal seeks *specifically* to ensure the availability of routable
identifiers to use for transition mechanisms and critical
infrastructure. Why are we then even considering non-routable prefix sizes?

> Yes it is true you raised arguments in email threads, and counter arguments were raised too. I am again inclined to believe that the bulk of the member are Pro this Paragraph and because all Policies are developed through Consensus, i will stay this too.....

The argument is that this is required. We have not yet heard how this is
to be practically enforced. Do we want to ignore this elephant in the
room until the AfriNIC staff come back and report that this cannot be done.

--
Graham Beneke
graham at apolix.co.za   | Apolix Internet Services