[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

James Blessing jblessing at llnw.com
Tue May 3 12:09:01 UTC 2011

On 03/05/2011 12:50, Andrew Alston wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
> I dispute the consensus on the clause on the 10% allocation.
>
> I refer back to the discussions on the list in the second half of February
> this year.
>
> My reading of the thread that was extensive over a few days, we had 10
> respondents if I haven't missed any in my reading over it.
>
> Of those 10 from my reading of it, one person who questioned the clause, one
> who conceded potential headaches, 4 supports and 4 opposed.  That CLEARLY
> indicates lack of consensus in my eyes.

Just for clarification I object to the 10% figure as it is not
enforceable and hinders rather than helps the cause of AfriNIC based
companies

> With regards to the minimum allocation size point,
>
> Around the same time when this was discussed on the list, I see a
> surprisingly few number of respondents in the thread, but those who DID
> respond to that thread voiced objections.  (I can send through a list and
> summary as I read it if you wish).  Hence, again, I see no consensus on the
> list.

The potential pollution of the routing table with /27s (which in most of
the rest of the world would be dropped) is also a problem that must
addressed. Whilst it may seem like a good idea to reduce the allocation
size, many ISPs filter at the /24 level (for various reasons) and this
will cause severe reach-ability issues.

James Blessing
+44 7989 039 476
Strategic Relations Manager, EMEA