[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy"now Available Online

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 04:03:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> McTim,
>
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 4:17 AM, McTim wrote:
>> I see this part of the policy as an anti-colonial bulwark protecting
>> African resources against plunder by well heeled corporates from the
>> other regions.
>
> I understand the good intentions, but how is this going to work exactly?

That remains to be seen I guess, but I suspect like all other policies
that are enforced by RIRs.

>As Owen has stated, "all policies depend almost entirely on the cooperative compliance of the community."  The "community" is largely made up of businesses that want to continue to serve customers/grow/make money/etc.  Policies that constrain those businesses from continuing to serve customers/grow/make money/etc. are likely to stress cooperative compliance.

All policies tend to constrain businesses somewhat.  This one seems to
be by a matter of degree, rather than a matter of kind.

> What I believe Andrew is suggesting is that the policy being discussed will set up a situation in which AfriNIC, cast as a regulator as opposed to a coordinator, will be at odds with (increasingly desperate) members of the community with vastly more resources than what AfriNIC can bring to bear.  I don't see how this scenario ends well.

It may not.  However, it does seem to be the strong sentiment of the
AfriNIC community.

--
Cheers,

McTim