[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy"now Available Online

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Feb 25 00:39:52 UTC 2011

Owen,

>> What I believe Andrew is suggesting is that the policy being discussed will set up a situation in which AfriNIC, cast as a regulator as opposed to a coordinator, will be at odds with (increasingly desperate) members of the community with vastly more resources than what AfriNIC can bring to bear.  I don't see how this scenario ends well.
> I won't pretend to speak for McTim, but, as I see it, this scenario ends no worse than the scenario where
> AfriNIC gives permission for foreign entities to take resources from AfriNIC for use in other regions.

Well, one possible outcome of defining policies at odds with business reality: degradation of the accuracy of the registration database and the proliferation of "alternative" registries that provide more accurate Whois information.

However, since you don't see this as a potential outcome, my comment was directed to McTim. :-)

Regards,
-drc