[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Feb 22 17:02:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 07:24 -0800, Douglas Onyango wrote:
> Andrew, You raise a valid point here and i am compelled to agree. The
>  thing is that this clause was raised in the spirit of preventing the
>  black market situation for IPv4 which i believe you have heard/read
>  about countless times.
>
> In light of your compelled evidence, i think this zero's down to a
>  lesser evil. Now, bringing McTim's argument that Not that many African
>  Multinationals will be moving into EU et al and given that the few
>  that do so have the option of acquiring address space from the regions
>  they belong to, i am for keeping this clause.

At this stage of the end game - we are only giving out quite small
blocks of IP addresses - probably very unsuitable for expansion out of
Africa - so have difficulty agreeing with Andrew on this one. If MTN
(choosing someone who is "conquering" Africa - and thus a suitable
example) wants to go after Europe - then they *should* first be asking
RIPE for IPv4 space. However MTN probably has enough address space
already so they could probably move enough themselves from say South
Africa to Europe - and I dare say the same holds true for any other
African Multinational.