[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 21 21:04:00 UTC 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 12:41 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> AfriNIC has a clearly defined geographical service region. If an address is
>> assigned to a device physically outside of that defined region, then, the
>> address is being used outside of the region.
>
> So, the implication here is either:
>
> a) the address must be reachable on the Internet
> b) AfriNIC staff has to be able to gain access to a non-Internet-connected network to audit those addresses are in use within the region.
>
> ?

I guess you missed the part where I said that our policies in general depend on voluntary
compliance, so, I do not see the technical impediments to enforcement as being sound
reason to avoid clearly expressing the will of the community.

>> This does not seem like rocket science to me.
>
> Out of curiosity, how would anycast addresses announced out of multiple regions be treated?

So long as at least one instance is within the region, I would presume that would be
considered acceptable. That, however, would be a good thing to clarify in the policy
and I would like to see people in the region express their preference on the subject.