[AfriNIC-rpd] Afrinic and RPKI

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:29:31 UTC 2011

Hiya Andrew,

Thought I sent this yesterday, but still see it in my drafts...

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Andrew Alston <aa at tenet.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> While I was considering developing a policy proposal around RPKI in Africa,
> I figured before I attempt that one, and its a bit of a minefield, I¹d like
> to open some discussion on the list about RPKI.
>
> While I am not going to attempt to go into the details of RPKI in this
> email, and will leave that up to the reader to do some research (its a
> complex topic), I would like someone from AfriNIC to respond to the
> following questions that can help guide policy formation on this issue.
>
> A.) When a government declares that ISP X must be turned off, and issues
> AfriNIC with an order to turn them off, that is generated in a court in the
> country that the ISP resides in, how is AfriNIC planning on responding.

Good question,and Counsel should give a definitive answer obviously.
However, I am curious as to why you suspect that any such court order
would be binding upon the NIC (unless of course it was a Mauritian
court, where the NIC is domiciled)?

http://www.afrinic.net/membership/certification.htm

> Right now, I see the world discussing RPKI as a solution for IP hijacking,
> which is likely to become far more commonplace now that IP space is running
> out, at the same time, I see us being years away from RPKI implementations.
> (There is no code in the routers to support this yet, there are immense
> technical and political hurdles to be crossed, and its a fundemental change
> to the way the Internet actually operates and in my opinion a grave threat
> to the autonomy of ISPs).  However, with the global debate on this
> increasing I think it would be irresponsible of us in the AfriNIC region if
> we did not start taking a long hard look at this and deciding how we as the
> African community want to respond.

Discussion is always useful.

> So, I¹d like to issue an invitation for some discussion on this subject on
> the list.  Do some reading, do some research, and lets hear some thoughts so
> that we can develop some sensible policies around this within the community,
> before its far to late and we are forced to accept something implemented by
> the rest of the world without our thoughts being heard.
>
> I would strongly suggest reading
> http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2010/3/13/4479658.html

I would strongly suggest reading that with a grain of salt...I would
rather take the IAB advice on RPKI in this case!

--
Cheers,

McTim