[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal "xxxxxx " now Available Online

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 15 17:13:51 UTC 2011

This proposal is ill advised at best.

There are many legitimate uses of address space that may not appear in any routing table
visible from any particular vantage point.

Un-routed (from some particular perspective) is not the same as un-routed everywhere.
Even in the case of un-routed in all publicly visible tables, this does not guarantee that the
space is not in legitimate use or exempt from a need for global uniqueness.

There are many private networks that connect to large numbers of other private networks,
many of which then connect to the internet. In these cases, globally unique numbers are
needed to prevent addressing collisions and overlaps among the various organizations
cooperating on the private network.

The references in section 3 et.seq. of the proposal seem to have an off-by-one
error, such as 3.2 which refers to "violation of 2.1" which appears, instead, to
be intended as "violation of 3.1".

The proposal is written such that it would apply only to allocations made before the proposal
became policy and would not apply to subsequent allocations. If this is the intent, it does
not make sense to me. While I understand the need for some ex post facto policies, a
policy that is exclusively ex post facto is simply wrong.

The claim in section 4.0 is that this policy will somehow significantly extend the lifetime of IPv4.
This claim is unsubstantiated and I believe it to be false.

In the best case, globally, there are estimated to be roughly 22 /8s that are significantly under-utilized.
If one were to reclaim all of them (which the most optimistic estimates say would take 4-5 years
and cost $millions in legal fees), this would extend the global free pool lifetime by just over 1 year
at 2010 consumption rates.

It makes much more sense to spend that 4-5 years implementing IPv6 than it does to pour
$millions more down the IPv4 rat-hole chasing less than a year of address space that will
likely never materialize and could significantly disrupt the RIR system in the process.

I am opposed to this proposal. It seeks to solve a non-problem and would be
damaging to legitimate existing uses of address space. It would be damaging
to the RIR system. It would be damaging to the community. It offers little, if anything
in return.

Owen