[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal "xxxxxx " now Available Online

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Tue Feb 15 15:53:41 UTC 2011

I must object to the policy below, see reasons inline:

> 3.1 IPv4 allocations distributed by AfriNIC to the ISP must be seen in
> the routing table within 90 days of getting the addresses.

This is impractical, as explained many times on this list and others, there
are many reasons why IP address space may not appear in the DFZ, and may
only appear in limited sections of the routing table which may not be
visible to AfriNIC.

> 3.2 AfriNIC must issue three(3) seven(7)-day interval warnings to the
> ISP that is in violation of 2.1 after the 90th day of getting the IPv4
> allocation.

See comment under section 3.1 which negate this section in entirety

> 3.3 AfriNIC must regain the IPv4 allocation from the ISP  seven(7) days
> after the last warning. The IPv4 space can be given to another ISP by
> AfriNIC when appropriate.

See comments under section 3.1 which negate this section in entirety

> The following will apply to all IPv4 issued after the policy is implemented:
>
> 3.4 IPv4 distributed by AfriNIC to the ISP must be seen in the routing
> table within thirty (30) days of getting the addresses.

See comments under section 3.1

> 3.5 AfriNIC must issue two seven(7)-day interval warnings to the member
> that is in violation of 2.4 after the 30th day of getting the IPv4
> allocation.

See comments under section 3.1 that negate this section in entirety

> 3.6 AfriNIC must regain the IPv4 from the ISP seven(7) days after the
> last warning. The IPv4 can be given to another ISP by AfriNIC when
> appropriate.

See comments under section 3.1 that negate this section in entirety

> 4.0 Summary
>
> While this proposal will not significantly extend the lifetime of IPv4,
> it will ensure that unused IPv4 is righfully utilized and not hoarded by
> those ISPs that have no use for it.

I do not see how this policy either extends the life of IPv4, or stops the
hoarding of IPv4 space in any way shape or form.  Even if the space was in
the routing table, that does not mean that an ISP is not announcing the
space with a null route, meaning the space is not in use but merely in the
routing tables.  I also once again refer to my comments about 3.1 for the
cases where the space does not appear in the DFZ

> 5.0 References
> http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/

I fail to see how this reference has any relevance to the content of this
proposal