[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal: Out of region sales of IPv4 space

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:59:20 UTC 2011

So, there is an apparent wealth and abundance of IPv4 resources in
AfriNICs service region. Wouldn't be better to use these resources and
deepen the soft landing policies so the whole region has enough time
to transition to IPv6 in the most painless manner possible?

Maybe stricter usage controls, smaller allocation, slow start
mechanisms and the like. I don't know, but I'm sure different ideas
can be proposed. These mechanisms would also serve the purpose of
minimizing the space that can be grabbed via shell companies. In the
end, if you need one shell company per /21 you get (for the sake of an
example), any big ISP from ARIN/RIPE/APNIC regions would need perhaps
~100 shell companies to get a minimally usable amount of space.

If current policies would allow shell companies to get large amounts
of IPv4 space, then this is something that needs to be acted upon. A
shell company can lie to get their first allocation, but from that
point on I don't see how they can justify the need for additional
space without revealing their true nature.

I cannot help but see this proposal as a waste of a gigantic strategic
opportunity.

Finally, I realize I'm an outsider to the region and maybe I don't see
other problems/issues at play. In any case, just take this as a
friend's opinion :-)

warm regards,

Carlos

PS: I'm also rehearsing arguments in case a similar proposal pops up here :-)