[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [afgwg-discuss] Re: [AfrICANN-discuss] Last 5 /8 distributes

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Feb 10 18:57:38 UTC 2011

Hello Ben,

Geting on this only now.

[First I have trimmed down the lists in copy to avoid cross posting and
spamming irrelevant lists]

On 2011-02-03, at 20:42 PM, Ben Akoh wrote:
> Thanks for this information. I followed closely the discussions especially
> the comment attributed to you that most African networks are v6 compliant
> largely due to the recent purchase of newer equipment. I had sent in a
> question at the tail end of the discussion and someone else had asked the
> question on the economics of the migration.
>
> I think the information you provided on the compliance of equipment is
> extremely useful but was hoping you could provide more clarity and
> information in terms of figures and numbers to that effect.

Difficult to get exact figure for this (maybe a good subject for an in-depth
research). However there are some fact end deployment experiences that allow
us to support that.

> For instance,
> what has been the spend by companies or countries for newer more compliant
> equipment?

Well what we are saying is that due 1) to the relatively recent deployment of
Internet Infrastructure in the region many first generation equipments are
already IPv6 compatible - but people don't know because they have not tried -
2) Even for infrastructure that are older, most of them have entered or are
entering their normal renewal cycle now and new equipments purchased the past
±5 years or so are likely to be IPv6 ready.

The IPv6 readiness of an equipment is not generally sold as a separate option
or feature (as IPv6 is not a new feature of the Internet Protocol but simply
its evolution).

> Is the move to purchase newer equipment a conscious effort
> towards compliance to v6 or just a normal part of equipment upgrade that
> companies or institutions engage in? Or any other reasons?

Exact. In most of the cases it is a normal equipment upgrade/renewal.

> It was good seeing you again, though remotely. Keep up the good work.

Thank you. And We also appreciate your support out there in what we are try
to achieve for the region.

Thanks.

- a.