[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal: Out of region sales of IPv4 space

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Feb 10 13:19:03 UTC 2011

On 2011/02/10 2:35 PM, "Frank Habicht" <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

> On 2/10/2011 2:36 PM, Andrew Alston wrote:
>> Hi Douglas,
>>
>> While I understand your objections and I was expecting opposition like
>> this, I need to point out certain things.
>>
>> IP Space is already commercialized, irrespective of the words we use to
>> couch it.
>

> there are already drunk drivers on the roads. Let's legalise it.
>
> I object.

At the same time, legalizing some things can be safer.  Look at the abortion
debate (and I am NOT trying to turn this thread into a pro-life vs
pro-choice debate), but simple fact is, the legal option allows for a lot
more safety and control.

I am no fan of regulation in this industry, but I do believe sometimes
allowing something and controlling it, is better than acknowledging its
going to happen, doing nothing about it, and letting chaos ensue to the
detriment of the majority.