[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal: Out of region sales of IPv4 space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 10 12:14:23 UTC 2011

> Yes, we “prohibit” sale of space to foreign entities, but I believe we are deluding ourselves if we believe that that policy will actually hold any water when people are desperate for space.  For all the debate that has gone on, if a foreign entity registers a shelf company that is a 100% African entity (and you can register shelf companies for next to nothing), and that shelf company then applies to AfriNIC for IP space and an ASN and membership, there is almost nothing we can do to prevent it.  The discussion about monitoring where space is used, if it is utilized off continent or on continent also has so many flaws.  How exactly are you going to tell the geographic area that space is being announced in?  I have yet to see a solid proposal about how to policy this.

A shell company will not solve the problem for the external entity. They would be able to get a small amount of space in Africa and export only 10% of it for overseas operations. They would have to operate 90% of it within the AfriNIC region or face the probability of having their allocation/assignment revoked.

> The fact is, a policy that cannot be enforced in my opinion is of little value, and are we really proposing that we create an AfriNIC police force to stop this space?  With what money and what human resource?  All I am saying is that we should find a way to benefit from what I believe is inevitable.

I think you are wrong about AfriNIC's inability to enforce the policy.

Even if AfriNIC is unable to enforce the policy, however, I think it is better for the AfriNIC community to tell the world that they do not want their address resources plundered by the wealthier nations and at least attempt to retain it rather than simply sell those resources off without a fuss.