[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal: Out of region sales of IPv4 space

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Feb 10 11:36:10 UTC 2011

Hi Douglas,

While I understand your objections and I was expecting opposition like this,
I need to point out certain things.

IP Space is already commercialized, irrespective of the words we use to
couch it.  Currently if you refer to the AfriNIC fee schedule, there is a
membership fee based on the amount of IP space allocated to you as a member,
you are in effect, paying for IP space.  If it was purely a matter of you
paying a fixed membership fee per year a.) AfriNIC would not be sustainable
b.) There would be no tie back to the amount of space you had, and it
wouldn¹t be a case of you PAYING for IP space.  The moment there is a
relation in the fee structure to the amount of space you are allocated, the
space is commercialized.

Now, if we consider this, I am simply proposing that we allow membership of
AfriNIC by foreign entities and extend the fee structure, in a way that
benefits Africans rather than allows the rest of the world to find ways to
take the space with zero benefit to the African people.

Yes, we ³prohibit² sale of space to foreign entities, but I believe we are
deluding ourselves if we believe that that policy will actually hold any
water when people are desperate for space.  For all the debate that has gone
on, if a foreign entity registers a shelf company that is a 100% African
entity (and you can register shelf companies for next to nothing), and that
shelf company then applies to AfriNIC for IP space and an ASN and
membership, there is almost nothing we can do to prevent it.  The discussion
about monitoring where space is used, if it is utilized off continent or on
continent also has so many flaws.  How exactly are you going to tell the
geographic area that space is being announced in?  I have yet to see a solid
proposal about how to policy this.

The fact is, a policy that cannot be enforced in my opinion is of little
value, and are we really proposing that we create an AfriNIC police force to
stop this space?  With what money and what human resource?  All I am saying
is that we should find a way to benefit from what I believe is inevitable.

Andrew