[AfriNIC-rpd] Staff Comments & Implementation Impact Analysis for Policy - Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service Region (AFPUB-2010-GEN-006)

Tobias Knecht tk at abusix.com
Fri Jan 14 12:50:23 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

> a. Create a new or use an already existing whois database object that
> will be referenced in all objects of type:
>
> 	inetnum
> 	inet6num
> 	aut-num
>
> It is envisaged that each object above will be modified to include an
> extra optional attribute that could be called “abuse-c”, and that it
> would be a reference to a normal person or role object.

First of all. I like the idea with the name "abuse-c", because it is
easy to understand and it is straight forward.

Never the less there are 2 things that will lead into trouble with this
implementation idea. Especially the part with "normal person or role
object.".

1.) If you use normal person or role objects we will run into whois
query restrictions. Same problem RIPE is having at the moment.

2.) If you allow to add an abuse-mailbox attribute to every person or
role object it will lead into a big mess. At the end you have an
admin-c, tech-c and abuse-c with different abuse-mailbox attributes
referenced by the same inetnum. So whois will show you 3 different
abuse-mailbox attributes and that will lead into the same confusion as
it does at RIPE at the moment.

To avoid the above mentioned problems I would take the abuse-c link it
to a "special" role account that has to have an abuse-mailbox attribute
and do not restrict whois queries for it.

Thanks,

Tobias

--
abusix.org