[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC launches its RPKI program for the Community

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Mon Jan 10 05:23:23 UTC 2011

Dear AfriNIC Members and Colleagues,

As part of our ongoing commitment to support Internet infrastructure
development and ensure a safer and secure Internet for all (including routing
security), we are pleased to announce the launching of our Resource
Certification program.

Resource Certification is a security framework for verifying the association
between Internet number resources (Internet addresses and/or Autonomous System
Numbers) and their rightful holders. It is aimed at adding a verifiable form
of a holder's current right to use those resources over the Internet.

Over the past several years, a number of mechanisms have been under development
for digital certification of Internet number resources, through the Resource
Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI).

AfriNIC has launched, along with the other RIRs and in line with the Number
Resource Organiza-tion (NRO) schedule, its RPKI program on the 1st of January
2011. With certificates issued by AfriNIC, members with IP addresses or AS
numbers will now have the possibility of issuing their own Route Origination
Authorisation (ROA) Certificate that will digitally certify that the routed
resources are officially assigned and certified by AfriNIC.

The RPKI platform  will also offer several other opportunity to members to
digitally ascertain their right to use resources allocated to them by AfriNIC.

For more info on how to use please see:

  http://www.afrinic.net/membership/certification.htm

Sincerely

Adiel A. Akplogan