[AfriNIC-rpd] Comments about AFPUB-2010-GEN-005

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Fri Dec 24 11:23:06 UTC 2010

Hi Walu,
At 00:41 24-12-10, Walubengo J wrote:
>my earlier undestanding behind the need to have 2chairs for the PDP
>was that they could act as "alternate" to avoid the occurence of "no
>chair" present as it happened in Afrinic-11 in Senegal.

If we have one Chair and the person is not present at the meeting,
it's a problem.  Having two Chairs reduces the likelihood of that
happening.  According the PDP used for AfriNIC-11, there were three
members.  The three members were absent.  This has been addressed by
leaving it to the PDWG to select a Chair for the meeting.

The selection of the Chairs is staggered to allow for continuity.  As
one of the Chairs is around for a year, he or she has followed the
discussions about the proposals and can provide input to the new Chair.

There isn't an alternate; the Chairs have equal standing.  That is
why they are called co-Chairs.  It is good if the Chair with less
experience gets hands-on experience of the process.  The other Chair
can help out if the need arises.

>However, during the last policy meeting in SA (Afrinic-13), it
>occured to me that BOTH Chairs are actually expected to be present
>and managing the Policy discussion - thus creating a real potential
>for deadlocks (as Dr. Paulos describes here).

Both Chairs do not have to be present.  One of the Chairs is enough
to manage the policy discussions.  If one of the Chairs is the author
of a proposal under discussion, the other Chair can take over.

Several proposals were discussed at the AfriNIC-13 Public Policy
Meeting.  Alan and I had a quick discussion during the ten minutes
break about how to proceed.  We decided on which proposal each of us
would handle.  It was more about coordination.  You may have noticed
that both Alan and I commented as individuals during the meeting.  We
spoke from the floor so that it was clear that we were not speaking
as Chairs then.  As our views are public, the community can assess
whether we were biased when we had to take a decision.

If I had any strong concerns about a proposal, I would have left it
to Alan to take the decision.  It is up to the community to decide
whether either of the Chairs acted fairly.  If the community has an
concerns about that, they can take action against the Chair.

It wasn't easy to make a determination of consensus on some of the
proposals.  It is sometimes a quick decision while we have to
identify and clarify the points of agreement and disagreement.  In
simple terms, it's not a vote about a proposal.

Alan and I did not take a vote to come to a decision.  It was more
like "what do you think?" or "I think that everybody got to voice out
their views and we can make a determination on this one".  As far as
I recall, we did not disagree with each other.

>One quick way to resolve the potential for deadlocks while
>simultaneously eliminating the potential for "absent chair" is to
>designate a "lead" Chair for each Policy meeting on a rotational
>basis. Since we have 2 policy meetings per year, and 2 chairs, the
>lead chair in a previous policy meeting becomes the secondary chair
>in the subsequent meeting and both act as Backup for each other i.e.
>in the event a lead chair cant make it for the meeting the secondary
>chair simply takes over. Also this means that the lead chair for
>that period/session has the final say - in the event of conflict or
>need to break a tie (within the Chairmanship).

Having a lead chair to have a final say or using an odd number to
break a tie is only useful when decisions are taken through a
vote.  If two-thirds of the people in a group support a proposal and
one third of them object, it is difficult to say that there is
consensus.  If there isn't consensus between the Chairs, is it likely
that there is consensus in the group?

My view is that the Chair is there to fulfill an administrative
function and not about who gets to be "lead" Chair.  I prefer if it
is the community that has the final say.  If you walk out of a
meeting with a sense that the same decision would have been reached
if any other person in the group was Chair, it means that the Chair
took the right decision.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy