[AfriNIC-rpd] Comments about AFPUB-2010-GEN-005

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 08:41:38 UTC 2010

my earlier undestanding behind the need to have 2chairs for the PDP was that they could act as "alternate" to avoid the occurence of "no chair" present as it happened in Afrinic-11 in Senegal.

However, during the last policy meeting in SA (Afrinic-13), it occured to me that BOTH Chairs are actually expected to be present and managing the Policy discussion - thus creating a real potential for deadlocks (as Dr. Paulos describes here).

One quick way to resolve the potential for deadlocks while simultaneously eliminating the potential for "absent chair" is to designate a "lead" Chair for each Policy meeting on a rotational basis. Since we have 2 policy meetings per year, and 2 chairs, the lead chair in a previous policy meeting becomes the secondary chair in the subsequent meeting and both act as Backup for each other i.e. in the event a lead chair cant make it for the meeting the secondary chair simply takes over. Also this means that the lead chair for that period/session has the final say - in the event of conflict or need to break a tie (within the Chairmanship).

regards.
walu.