[AfriNIC-rpd] decline - Re: Appointment of Interim Co-Chairs on the PDWG

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Fri Nov 26 22:07:07 UTC 2010

Dr. Viv Padayatchy,
AFRINIC Board Chair,

Let me start by congratulating Mr. S. Moonesamy and Mr  Alan Barrett for making it to
the PDP-WG and then I give a brief explanation on my decision to decline the same.

It should be well known by now that I find the process and actions followed by the
AfriNIC Board on the PDP policy AFPUB-2010-GEN-005 to be irregular and against the
principles that are normally attributed to AfriNIC - see my e-mail in reply to Alan
Barret of 23 Nov 2010 - copied here below. These principles include openness,
transparency and fairness and these are also clearly espoused in the PDP, see Section 3
of http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2010-GEN-005.htm, just approved.

3.3 Fairness: I have no doubt that the Board realises that it failed to follow the
principle of fairness in Section 3.3 which includes that "Actions are taken within a
reasonable period of time". Having failed to follow this principle by not allowing
reasonable time for proper elections for the PDP-WG to take place, among other
requirements, the Board found itself in a fix and went on a patch-up path.

4. PDP-Chairs: The Policy says in section 4 that: ... "The Working Group Chairs will be
chosen by the AfriNIC community during the Public Policy Meeting and they will serve
staggered two-year terms." ... Here the Board found patch-up was for the Board to
nominate in a TOP-DOWN approach clearly against the principles and the approved policy.
I do not know the full powers of the Board but clearly these are "strong-man-tactics"
that do not go down well with the principles.

6. Conflicts: The process followed by the Board goes against most of the issues that the
just approved  PDP is trying to address - e.g. Section 6 on conflicts. Now that the
PDP-WG has been appointed by the Board, it does not look feasible that the Board would
remain objective, fair, open or even transparent in resolving such a conflict as
outlined in Section 6 of the PDP. As we saw at Afrinic-13 policy discussion, conflicts
are not far fetched.

There are other areas of the PDP that suffer because of the current Board initiated
process which I could write about latter.

As I explained when we met during one of the tea breaks at AFRINIC-13, the Board had
several options on how to proceed but it seems that the Board chose the option that goes
against AfriNIC known principles, against PDP policy itself that the Board approved and
hence seriously compromised the basic standing and legitimacy of the resulting PDP-WG.

I would have found it difficult to work with openness, fairness and transparency in such
a compromised PDP-WG and hence found it necessary to decline the nomination.

I value the mandate, actions and contributions that the PDP-WG makes to AfriNIC. I will,
therefore, be happy to further participate when AfriNIC returns to the regular PDP
process and holds open, fair, transparent and legitimate elections for the PDP-WG.

Regards,

Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD
http://www.registrar.mw