[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: PDP transition to AFPUB-2010-GEN-005

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Nov 23 09:35:40 UTC 2010

Hi Owen,
At 12:05 AM 11/23/2010, Owen DeLong wrote:
>D) Implement the ne process right now in all aspects except the
>         election of the co-chairs. Instead of electing co-chairs immediately,
>         have the board appoint interim co-chairs to serve until the
>         conclusion of successful elections at AfriNIC-14 in 2011
>         for two co-chairs, the one with the most votes getting a
>         two year term and the next most votes getting a one year
>         term.
>
>         + very nearly complies wit the policy as written.
>         + enough time to organize a fair election in 2011
>         + does not require a hasty election in 2010
>         - we have interim co-chairs appointed by the board which
>         may be a minor subversion of the intended policy process.

The last sentence in Section 2 was added at the request of the
community.  My understanding is that it is to take effect at the
beginning of the AfriNIC-13 meeting as the proposal has been ratified
by the AfriNIC Board of Directors.

As there has already been comments about the election, I won't
comment further about that.

The "As a special case" paragraph in Section 4 was added at the
request of the community.  It explains that the terms are staggered
so that a new co-chair is chosen every year.  If the option is to
have interim chairs, does that paragraph still apply?

The last paragraph of Section 4 gets into the details of what to do
if chairs are unavailable.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy