[AfriNIC-rpd] Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Mon Nov 22 10:41:36 UTC 2010

On 11/12/10 4:01 PM, "SM" <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> The authors of the Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA
> Post Exhaustion proposal are the same as the contributors listed in
> Section 9.  I suggest removing the contributors list.
>
> In Section 1:
>
>    "Does not differentiate any class of IPv4 address space unless otherwise
>     defined by an RFC."
>
> Do you mean any such definition in a RFC or is it a specific RFC?

"an RFC" means any RFC. Basically deferring to the authority of the IETF and
whatever they ask the IANA to do.

>    "Disallow transfers of addresses sourced from the Reclamation Pool
>     in the absence of an IPv4 Global Transfer Policy to neutralize
>     transfer process inequities across RIR regions."
>
> What do you mean by "neutralize transfer process inequities across
> RIR regions"?

Each RIR has/will have transfer policy that is different. As you may know,
our friends in the APNIC chose to allow their transfer policy to work
without requiring needs analysis. This is their perogative of course, but in
the ARIN region it was a roadblock to passing the previous like-minded
proposal.

> In Section 3:
>
>    'Eligible address space includes addresses that are not designated as
>     "special use" by an IETF RFC or addresses allocated to RIR's unless
>     they are being returned by the RIR that they were orignally allocated to.'
>
> What do you mean by IETF RFC?  There is a typo for "originally".

>    "Any RIR that is formed after the ICANN Board of Directors has ratified
>     this policy is not eligible to utilize this policy to obtain IPv4
>     address space from the IANA."
>
> Is there a reason for this?

Are you familiar with the IETF? Thanks for that, there has been an update to
the version discussed here that corrects the typo.

> Has this proposal been discussed in other regional policy forums?  If
> so, would it be possible for you to provide a summary of the discussion?

Yes, it has been discussed in most regions. When I present this at the
meeting, there will be a slide that shows that and some of the feedback
received.

> The projected IANA Unallocated Address Pool Exhaustion date is
> currently March 12, 2011.

I'm afraid that this is where we will see some vast difference. If we make
it past December, I'll be very surprised.

Best,

-M<