[AfriNIC-rpd] RE: [pdp-mg] Updated Version of IPv4 Soft Landing Proposal now Online

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 07:26:28 UTC 2010

The point in having a minimum of /27 is to cater for people who need address space only to inter operate networks (v4<==>v6). These people don't need large blocks of v4 to do this and i think it unwise to just give it away......no one is being forced to take this minimum...if they can justify larger blocks.....they can be given

> > I mentioned previously[1] that I do not think that
> this number is correct. I
> > however won't oppose this proposal based on that.
>
> Doh!, I had forgotten about that.  The previous number
> was /23, now
> it's a /22.  Plus, I am re-reading the current text,
> and I do not find
> the limit of 4 (four) allocations, so I think Douglas has
> sorted this
> issue.
>
> There will no longer be any "un-allocatable" under this
> policy, right Douglas?

Yes, this is correct.... by removing the limit of 4 blocks per member in the exhaustion phase, we do away with the possibility of having address space locked up and unusable...which is the problem you highlighted in your recommendation......

Douglas Onyango | +256(0712)981329
Life is the educators practical joke in which you spend the first half learning, and the second half learning that everything you learned in the first was wrong.