[AfriNIC-rpd] RE: [pdp-mg] Updated Version of IPv4 Soft Landing Proposal now Online

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Wed Nov 10 06:00:35 UTC 2010

>> 6.1 The minimum allocation or assignment size for IPv4 will be a /27
>> block (32 addresses).

I see no useful reason for an RIR to allocate prefixes longer than /24.
Upstream providers will not accept announces of these prefixes and the
announces will never reach the DFZ. Operationally they will never become
globally reachable and thus be of no use.

If there is a requirement for a /27 then it can only be obtained from an
LIR as an assignment from a larger aggregated allocation.

>   The maximum alocation or assignment size will
>> be a /22 or 1024 addresses.

I mentioned previously[1] that I do not think that this number is
correct. I however won't oppose this proposal based on that.